Hymnish
Midst the late spring semester, the final project in Music Theory was to compose a tune with four-part harmony. Several restrictions applied; for example, it had to be eight measures long, it had to be major, it could have no accidentals. So I sat down one day and just started composing and when finished, (this composing went on for a few days, not one sitting) I had created a hymn-like tune I very much liked but in many ways would have to be altered (not fixed, mind you, becuase I like it just the way it is) so as to fit the assignment requirements. So I "filed" a copy of the original version and proceeded to alter version 2 for the class composition.
In memory of my first and then fairly recent trip to the Bruces (they were kind enough to open their home to my family as we (and they) attended the grand wedding of Emily Ritc- uh, Palmer, in which many memorable moments were created - some silly, some serious, all precious.) I named my tune (the original) Middle Glen, after their street. I chose this name because I could not settle on naming it after any one particular Bruce -- although, the more I think about it, "Jeeves" sounds like a great tune name. Word got around the Bruces that I was writing this hymn-like tune, and being the word-lover she is, I asked Caitlin to write words to my tune. Before A Very Long Time was over, she had put to my hymn, five verses of words, which are based on Micah 6:6-8.
About a month after my compositioning, Dan and I took a little road trip back to Middle Glen. Needless to say the weekend proved to be very very silly, and we had a good time (maybe a little understatement???) (Note: for those who are stup-- uninformed, this was the weekend I shaved my head. For more information on this highlight of my life visit here.) At some point during our stay, Aunt Lynn, Caitlin, Claire, Dan and I, putting to use the Bruce's recording stuff, recorded my hymn, which Caitlin and I later decided to name Micah's Offering.
Below is the recording (click on the title), the words, and the singers/parts. I must insert here a disclaimer for the singers. One particular chord in the hymn you may find trying to the ear. It is not the singer's fault, but rather, the composer's. If sung perfectly, the chord does sound fine, but the leading-up-to intervals, particularly for the bass, are very difficult if you are not familiar with them and have not practiced them. Hence, any dischord I take complete responsibility for, and I beg you to not base your judgement of the ability of these singers on this recording. Unless it is me of course, because I have sung each of the parts a billion times...almost.
Soprano Lynn and Claire
Tenor Andrew and Caitlin
Bass Dan
MICAH'S OFFERING
Micah 6:6-8
How shall I come before my Lord and seek His grace?
What good thing
May I bring
To buy my righteousness?
Will He accept a thousand rams, or spoils of war?
Streams of oil,
Fruits of toil,
Or wonders from afar?
What shall I give to pay this debt? My labor all?
Work of hands,
Wrung from lands,
To pay Him for my soul?
No, he hath shown to thee, O man, that which is good–
Works thine own
Can’t atone;
Only Jesus’ holy blood.
What doth thy God require of thee but to afford
Justice sure,
Mercies pure,
And walk humbly with the Lord?