10.03.2005

A Study of the Mind...

The following is an example of what occurs everyday on every sidewalk and I dare say of every campus...

English was out the instant it began this morning, not something my class is unfamiliar with. After making my way outside I determined to go to the FIT and prepare for Calculus class. I commenced my journey north, down the long sidewalk (for I did indeed descend in elevation) outlining the west side of the campus. Around the halfway mark I spotted a classmatess from Economics, who I know but a little, about forty paces in front of me walking my direction.

Now, this distance takes me from 20 to 25 seconds to walk and with her almost doubling the progression, the confronting time between us was about 12 seconds. Naturally, I was prepared to acknowledge her when she passed by, but I wasn't going to gaze at her during the twelve seconds she didn't - this would be awkward and unnecessary. It would also not do to stare at the ground for that period of time acting like I hadn't noticed her and then right before she passed, look up and feign a surprised expression. No, certainly not.

So what dost I? I find other things to look at; I observe others who are nearby; I look for squirrels in the tree; I react to that abstract sound I heard behind me; I fill up space until she is about five paces from me, at which point I glance at her with a smile on face, and as she passes by, I say "Hey!" Then she is gone, and I do not feel that I have been unsociable.

What makes this a fascinating situation is that both entities endulge in the same process. Each knows the ropes, and in an unofficial and speechless agreement, have consented that such actions are acceptable. So it is everyday on every sidewalk of every campus!